Thursday, September 12, 2013

Even God Uses Craigslist

I was finally able to find my "dream stroller" (I know, I am weird) on Craigslist for super cheap. Paul agreed that I could buy it only if I promised to sell all three of my other strollers (yes three) to cover the cost of my new stroller and if it didn't cover all of it that I would do some babysitting to make up the cost or take it out of my monthly allowance (you gotta love a budget).

I posted all three strollers on Facebook and Craigslist. I sold the double stroller within about 5 minutes. I get a few inquires on the Baby Jogger and the Snap-n-go, but no follow-throughs. A few days pass and I get an email about the jogger. We set it up for her to come by on Friday morning. Perfect. I take it off of Craigslist. I get an email a few days later saying that she was sorry but she found another stroller and would not be purchasing ours. I am not going to lie, I was a little annoyed. I emailed her back and politely let her know that I wish she had told me that she was still looking for strollers so that I could have kept it on Craigslist. Here is where it gets interesting (here is our actual email chain, I am calling her "C"):

C - "I'm sorry. We were set on yours, but came across a Bob for $75. We lost a baby four weeks ago at 23 weeks, so we had unexpected funeral and hospital expenses. We had a double and obviously now we need a single. I have had a lot on my mind lately and I'm sorry I didn't let you know. But the cheaper the better for us right now."

I. Cannot. Believe it.

Me - "I can completely understand. I am so sorry to hear of your loss! We gave birth to and lost our son at 16 weeks on June 3. I will definitely be praying for you and your family. If you ever need an ear, I am here."

C - "Thank you so much Carolyn! We really appreciate that. If we didn't have our 20 month old son it would be much harder! I am so sorry for your loss as well. I wouldn't wish it upon anyone. We know it will get better and there was a reason for it. We hope to try again one day. Thank you so much again for understanding!"

What?!

Me - "I agree. If it wasn't for my 22 month old daughter, Grace, I don't know what I would do! It makes it easier, but it is still hard. I can't go to baby showers and large social gathers are still overwhelming. But, God is good and I rejoice in knowing that I will see Noah in heaven one day. I hope and pray it will continue to get easier for you too."

C - "Yes I totally agree. We know we will see our son "B" again in heaven too. My sister-in-law is due the same week I would have been due, so that will always be a hard time. I am like you, no baby showers for me this year. We are very hopeful for what God has in store for us in the future. Thank you again for sharing your story, and listening to mine!"

Come again?!

Me - "Oh my gosh, are you serious? My sister in law is due the week that I was due as well! With a boy. Oh my gosh, we have so much in common! It is like it was meant to be for us to get to know each other through this transaction. See, God is good! Maybe we should get together. Would you be interested in that? Or is it kinda weird, lol."

C - "Wow that IS crazy! and yes God is good :) what a coincidence. My sister in law is having a boy too! I would love to meet for coffee sometime. I think there is definitely a reason our paths crossed!"

I found out later, that not only did we have all of those things in common, we live off of the SAME ROAD.

We are getting together next week. What a special friendship this already is!

God. Is. Good.

Let's face it, these last three months after losing Noah have been hard, but they have also been enlightening. God has shown me that He is present in our every day lives and that He fullfills our every need...

...even if it takes using Craigslist.

1 comment:

  1. "So when you don't understand, when you can't see his plan, when you can't trace His hand, TRUST HIS HEART." ~Steve Green

    It is amazing to me how many people I have connected to and with and been able to be a support for because of my miscarriages. No, I would not have asked for them. Yes, they still hurt - a lot and more often than anyone who hasn't been there could ever guess or understand. And yet, it has allowed us to be a blessing to others who have experienced similar hurts. It has helped to bring a dear friend's child into a saving relationship with Jesus Christ - knowing that two of ours are already in Heaven and waiting for us to join them. We were so not meant to live on this world alone.

    Praise the Lord for this new friendship! I love that our Holy, All Powerful God, sometimes uses the most mundane things of our world (like Craigslist) to see His purpose achieved.

    ReplyDelete