Friday, December 27, 2013

Miscarriage

On Thanksgiving day we found out that we were pregnant! We were able to take Paul's parents and my mom on a walk and share the good news. We laughed and cried and hugged, it was such a sweet moment. I went to the OB two weeks later for my first visit and confirmation ultrasound. Since I measured early, they scheduled me to come back the following Friday for a follow-up ultrasound so that we could see the heart beat.

The next Wednesday, I had some heavy bleeding and clotting, so I called the OB. They had us come in and checked me out. They did an ultrasound where we got to see the heart beat! We were so relieved! They told me to go home and take it easy to try to get the bleeding to stop. Later that afternoon I started having severe cramps. I went to the restroom, where I passed a large amount of blood, tissue, and the sac. I just sunk to the bathroom floor and sobbed. I called Paul at work and he came home. By this time, the OB was closed, so the answering service had the doctor call me back. He told me to come in first thing that morning.

The next morning, we went to the OB. We had another ultrasound that confirmed what we already knew and prepared ourselves to see, an empty uterus. Paul and I burst into tears. Since there was still tissue and blood present, the OB gave me two choices; 1) to schedule a D&C, or 2) to use a prescription, Cytotec, to induce cramping to try to help pass the remaining "stuff", and schedule another ultrasound a week later. We chose the Cytotec. That night, before we went to sleep, I had to take the Cytotec.

We went back to the OB today and our appointment went GREAT! Everything is clear and my body is already preparing to cycle again, which is great, so NO D&C, PRAISE THE LORD!! Dr. Rush recommends that we wait at least one cycle, and when we are emotionally ready, to start trying again. At the first positive pregnancy test, I will call the OB and they will prescribe a vaginal form of progesterone that I will use once a day until about 12 weeks, and then I will get it in a shot form every week after that. I will go in at six and a half weeks for an ultrasound, and then again two weeks later, at that time I can decide to do the new pregnancy two hour appointment then or wait and come back after two more weeks for another ultrasound and then the appointment. I will also be considered high risk, and thankfully there are high risk doctors on staff at our current OB, so I will just continue to go there. My case is already being added to the high risk case load (which they meet every Tuesday to discuss), so whenever we are ready and do get pregnant, they will be familiar with our case. Dr. Rush was AMAZING! We are so thankful that God had us meet with her the last few times and for her plan of action! We both feel very much at ease and at peace.

Thank you so much, to everyone, for all of the thoughts, prayers, sweet messages, and most importantly prayers. God is so good, and we are so blessed by each of you!

2 comments:

  1. In the midst of the pain of this, how wonderful that you have a great doctor that you trust! I will continue praying.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Glad to hear that the OB visit went well and that you have wonderful sounding doctors. "Blessed be the name of the Lord - on the road marked with suffering, though there's pain in the offering, blessed be His name." Keeping you all in our prayers!

    ReplyDelete