Friday, August 9, 2013

What's in a name?

I have ALWAYS wanted to give a daughter the name "Grace Pennington," in fact, when Paul and I were just dating we had a conversation about baby names (did anyone else do that?). Thankfully, he liked it to. I am so thankful for God's "grace" and want to share it with others, and what better way than in my child's name?

Grace's middle name is Pennington. My grandmother's (Nanny) madden name is Pennington. In fact, she goes by Penny (to anyone not related to her, that is). Not only is Nanny Paul's and my only surviving grandparent, but she is amazing. She has battled and beat skin and breast cancer. Most importantly, above all things, she loved the Lord and she still loves the Lord today. She and Paul have always had a special relationship, sharing books and having theological conversations. But sadly, in the last few years, she has gotten older and the conversations have become more about day to day life and less about theology. But she still loves the Lord. In everything, she gives thanks. When she fell and broke her thumb, she thanked the Lord it wasn't her hip.

I hope that I can be like her. I hope that people can look at me in my old age and say that I loved the Lord, that I still love the Lord. That, no matter what He brought me to, He led me through. Most importantly I hope and pray that I can teach and lead my daughter to be like her. Maybe, just maybe, by giving Grace a piece of her name, it can help me to be sure to give her a piece of Heaven.

Here are a few pictures from our last visit with Nanny. Hopefully we will see her again soon!

No comments:

Post a Comment